I love Ina Garten and her simple, yet flavorful, style of cooking. A friend and I had a cooking day where we made Greek inspired dishes and one of them was Ina’s Greek Salad. The salad is light but hearty at the same time and is a must have for Greek night.
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, large-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large-diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in half-rounds
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
- 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta and olives and toss lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.